Position: Grantmaking Programme Officer – Maternity Cover
Period of cover: 6 months (October 2018 – April 2019)
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Strategic Programmes Manager
Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa), is a consciously feminist and women’s human rights pan- African Fund, registered in Nairobi, Kenya. Operating as a virtual organisation, the Fund boasts of strategic presence in Africa’s five sub-regions- in East Africa: Nairobi, Kenya; North Africa: Cairo, Egypt; Central Africa: Bujumbura, Burundi, West Africa: Abuja, Nigeria and Southern Africa: Harare, Zimbabwe.
UAF-Africa seeks a Grantmaking Programme Officer (maternity cover) who will translate UAF-Africa’s strategic plans into effective women’s rights initiatives and outcomes. Guided by feminist principles and values, the Fund advocates for gender equality, not only as a matter of human rights, but also as a fundamental prerequisite for social change, global security, and durable peace. In addition to her core business of Rapid Response Grantmaking, UAF-Africa runs advocacy and alliance building initiatives in collaboration with women’s rights and social justice organisations.
- Work closely with the grantmaking team to process grants to qualifying applicants across Africa;
- Correspond (answering queries, addressing concerns, advancing opportunities) and collaborate with the grant-making committee during the voting component of the grant-making exercise;
- Nurture, establish and maintain meaningful relationships with UAF-Africa grantmaking advisors in the region;
- In close collaboration with team members, carry out and oversee the planning and implementation of UAF-Africa’s grantmaking online and physical outreach missions;
- Provide grantmaking thematic, geographic and workflow analysis to enable integrated programmes strengthening;
- Strategically engage with fellow programme peers within the Fund for more streamlined and effective programme cohesion.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
The ideal candidate shall have:
- Masters’ Degree in Social Sciences, Women’s Studies, Political Sciences, International Development, Law or related fields;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a human rights funding, grantmaking or implementing organisation;
- Strong feminist conceptualisation and analytical skills;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work quickly and efficiently (under pressure), especially when facing tight deadlines;
- Strong oral and writing skills, in English (French or Arabic linguistic skills an advantage);
- Sound understanding of the politics of providing feminist and women’s rights strategic resourcing support;
- Computer literacy skills a must.
- In-depth knowledge of women’s rights issues, particularly within the context of Africa;
- Strong activism and knowledge of feminist and women’s rights activists, organisations and movements;
- Activist with unwavering commitment to feminist individual and organisational principles and values;
- Ability to interface sensitively with people from various social, economic, political, cultural and religious backgrounds;
- Budget and financial management skills- familiarity with grant making is an added advantage;
- Experience working with Salesforce software, an added advantage.
- This is a regional position that involves some extensive regional travel;
- African women are strongly encouraged to apply;
- The selected candidate will be expected to work from Nairobi, Kenya.
How to apply
Applicants fulfilling the above-mentioned requirements should submit their application together with a detailed CV and all relevant attachments via email to: email@example.com with the subject line Grantmaking Programme Officer – Maternity Cover by EAT 10 pm Sunday 7th October 2018.
Please note – UAF-Africa will only respond to candidates who are short-listed for interviews.
UAF-Africa is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or disability status.