|Position Title||Feminist Republik Coordinator|
|Position Location||African Country of Residence|
|Reporting to||Programmes Director|
|Contract Duration||3 Years|
|Deadline||Open until filled|
Who we are
Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa), is a consciously feminist and women’s human rights pan- African Fund, registered in Kenya and Zimbabwe. Operating as a virtual organisation, the Fund boasts of strategic presence in Africa’s five sub-regions- East Africa: Nairobi, Kenya; Kampala Uganda; North Africa: Cairo, Egypt; Central Africa: Bujumbura, Burundi; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Southern Africa: Harare, Zimbabwe and West Africa: Abuja, Nigeria. Recognising the need to move resources rapidly on a continent where opportunities and threats arise and decline quickly, UAF-Africa uses a Rapid Response Grant making mechanism to support unanticipated, time sensitive, innovative and unique initiatives that promote women’s agency in democratic governance, economic and environmental justice, natural resources governance, conflict transformation and justice processes while protecting their personhood, integrity and rights.
The African Women’s Human Rights Defenders Platform-The Feminist Republik) was established with three buckets of work defining its focus: Holistic protection, safety, security and wellbeing; healing justice; documentation and knowledge generation. UAF-Africa is looking to recruit a dynamic and passionate individual to oversee the work of the Feminist Republik, ensuring advancement of different pieces of the work.
The Feminist Republik Coordinator leads the work of the African Women’s Human Rights Defenders Platform. Reporting to the Programmes Director, the candidate is responsible to ensure quality implementation of the Feminist Republik’s three buckets of work which are Healing Justice, Self and Collective Care and Knowledge generation (Documentation of violations against women’s human rights defenders-the Registry). The candidate is tasked to oversee effective delivery within the portfolio in line with set organisational objectives, partners, funding and budgetary requirements and obligations.
Leadership and Coordination
- Provide strategic leadership within the Feminist Republik work;
- Ensure that the values and guiding principles of the Fund are adhered to through the work of the Feminist Republik and related activities;
- Engage in strategic collaboration meetings with activists, women’s rights and feminist organisations, collectives and movements;
- Represent UAF-Africa at various information sharing and other platforms, showcasing the Feminist Republik’s work;
- Collaborate with the Coordinators of Grantmaking and Research & Protection programmes to advance conceptual learning that feeds into the work of the Feminist Republik;
- Provide high level technical input into analytical work related to the Feminist Republik;
- Coordinate and provide guidance to staff and interns contributing towards Feminist Republik Initiative’s objectives and goals;
- Coordinate the work of the Advisory Group (set up to provide strategic guidance and advice to the work of the Feminist Republik). This includes engaging the Group periodically to update them on the status of the work; gathering their feedback during virtual meetings; taking and circulating minutes of the meetings; and reporting back on areas of work discussed with the Group.
- Monitoring of the budget and provide regular updates to the Programmes Director;
- Stay up to date on all financial and budgetary issues affecting the Feminist Republik and advising the Programmes Director accordingly;
- Support Feminist Republik resource mobilisation activities.
- Build, strengthen and maintain positive and productive political alliances with WHRDs, organisations and experts supporting the three buckets of work (in Africa and beyond);
- Work with partners to develop programmatic initiatives;
- Proactively engage in strategic fora ensuring cutting edge representation of the Feminist Republik;
- Build political trust and strengthen partnership with WHRDs for which the work of the Feminist Republik is grounded;
- As appropriate, build and maintain partnerships with key global and regional funders, international institutions geared to advance the Feminist Republik agenda;
- Coordinate all Feminist Republik partnerships to work in synergy with each other.
- Develop annual plans that will move the Feminist Republik work towards its objectives in its three core areas;
- Review and report on plans on a quarterly basis to monitor progress and make necessary adjustments;
- Ensure quality, timely work is done across all programming within the Feminist Republik;
- Ensure compliance with funding requirements;
- Work closely with the LM&E portfolio to track indicators for impact harvesting;
- Work collaboratively with other programmes i.e. Partnerships & Development, Media & Communications, Research & Protection, LM&E and Operations & Finance to ensure a smooth and seamless delivery of the Fund’s objectives.
- Masters’ Degree in Social Sciences, Women’s Studies, Political Sciences, International Development, Law or related fields.
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a human right implementing organisation, preferably working with WHRDs;
- In-depth knowledge of women’s rights issues, particularly within the context of Africa;
- Strong feminist activism and knowledge of feminist and women’s rights activists, organisations and movements;
- Feminist activist with unwavering commitment to feminist individual and organisational principles and values;
- Strong feminist conceptualisation and analytical skills, robust problem-solving, and organisational skills;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure, especially when facing tight deadlines;
- Strong oral and writing skills, in English (French or Arabic linguistic skills an advantage);
- Strong communication, group facilitation, community organizing and presentation skills with some experience in advocacy;
- Strong mobilisation and coordination skills;
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage and track big picture data and deadlines;
- Proven experience working effectively in a cross-cultural team;
- Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as assigned, in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment;
- Computer literacy skills
- This is a regional position that involves extensive national, regional and international travel;
- UAF-Africa is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in her hiring practices;
- In order to build the strongest possible workforce, UAF-Africa actively seeks a diverse applicant pool;
- The position will be based in the successful candidate’s African country of residence.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Feminist Republik Coordinator” in the subject line. The successful candidate must be based in their African country of residence. The position is open until filled. No phone calls please.